Board of Directors Meeting - September 12 2014

From SoylentNews
Jump to: navigation, search
Log
This page is a log from IRC or the (now defunct) forums.

[18:42] <@Bytram> okay, so are we all here?
[18:44] == Bytram changed the topic of #staff to: Board Meeting now in Progress; Everyone that doesn't have a voice or operator status in this channel: your messages will be forwarded to the channel ops.
[18:44] <+NCommander> indeed
[18:44] <@mrcoolbp> right
[18:44] <+matt_> good
[18:45] <@Bytram> looks like all are present.
[18:45] <+matt_> so, there are 6 issues on the wiki. shall we jump right in?
[18:45] <@mrcoolbp> sure
[18:45] <@Bytram> The items for this meeting, as far as I know, are at: http://wiki.soylentnews.org/wiki/Issues_to_Be_Raised_at_the_Next_Board_Meeting
[18:45] <@Bytram> sounds good.
[18:45] <+matt_> Issue 1: Site wildcard certificates - status?
[18:46] <@mrcoolbp> I think we need the domain under SN's control to do that
[18:46] <+NCommander> yeah
[18:46] <+matt_> my understanding is that the status of this is: pending transfer decision
[18:46] <@mrcoolbp> yeah
[18:47] <@Bytram> whose decision is that?
[18:47] <+matt_> the board's, mostly :)
[18:47] <@Bytram> oh.
[18:47] * NCommander twiches on that discussion
[18:47] <+matt_> the thing is, it's not just getting the whois right, we should have an actual transfer so that the agreement with the CA is actually correct...
[18:48] <@mrcoolbp> exactly
[18:48] <@Bytram> are there any issues with domain ownership at the moment, or are all those now under our control?
[18:48] <+matt_> the PBC doesn't yet own the domains.
[18:48] <+matt_> we have had a few discussions about how to achieve this.
[18:49] <@mrcoolbp> lots of circular discussions from my recollection
[18:49] <+matt_> and to reiterate, the default position (i.e., if we can't think of a better solution) is a donation, although in my opinion that has its own drawbacks
[18:49] <@mrcoolbp> like?
[18:50] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, like defeating the purpose of being a public-benefit corp., since without shareholders the board isn't required to adhere to our journalistic purpose.
[18:50] <+matt_> so, we're basically a standard for-profit that is relying on the goodwill of the board to stay true to the PBC's stated mission.
[18:50] <@mrcoolbp> goodwill of board or goodwill of shareholders, they're similar situations
[18:51] <@mrcoolbp> though not identical
[18:51] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, one provides a distribution of power, while one concentrates it imho
[18:51] <@Bytram> For completeness sake, who currently owns the domains: sylnt.us and soylentnews.org?
[18:51] <@mrcoolbp> we own sylnt.us
[18:51] <@mrcoolbp> Landon donated it
[18:51] <+matt_> my understanding is that the PBC owns sylnt.us and i own soylentnews.org
[18:52] <+NCommander> Yeah, we have sylnt.us under our control
[18:53] <@Bytram> so what is the issue with getting the wildard certs?
[18:53] <@mrcoolbp> the PBC doesn't own the domain, so it would be legit
[18:53] <+matt_> Bytram, the CA requires that the applicant own the domain
[18:53] <@mrcoolbp> wouldn't
[18:53] <@Bytram> which domain are we talking about atm
[18:54] <+matt_> Bytram, the one for which the wildcard cert is required :)
[18:54] <@Bytram> matt_: gee, thanks!  :/
[18:54] <+matt_> i'm assuming that is soylentnews.org
[18:54] <@mrcoolbp> bingo
[18:54] <@Bytram> that's my assumption, too.
[18:54] <+NCommander> yeah
[18:54] <@Bytram> okay. so who/what *owns* soylentnews.org right now?
[18:54] <@mrcoolbp> matt_
[18:54] <+matt_> me
[18:55] <@Bytram> okay. sorry, I'm playing catchup here, it seems.
[18:55] <+matt_> Bytram, that is what i bought from Barrabas all those months ago.
[18:55] <@Bytram> and the problem is matt_ != Soylentnews PBC
[18:55] <@mrcoolbp> yes sir.
[18:55] <@Bytram> so we can't get the wildcard certs?
[18:55] <@mrcoolbp> correct.
[18:55] <@Bytram> but, matt_ could?
[18:56] <@mrcoolbp> not really our end-goal, but technically yes
[18:56] <+matt_> i suppose that's true
[18:56] <@Bytram> okay, so it's not so much a *technical* problem; we *could* get the wildcard certs at the moment if we wanted to, the problem is a (for lack of a better term) political/governance one?
[18:57] <@mrcoolbp> kind of
[18:57] <+NCommander> Yeah
[18:58] <@Bytram> backtracking a moment; there was mention at the last meeting about needing some PDF file signed(?) and forwarded (correct me if I'm wrong there)... has this been done?>
[18:58] <+matt_> not to my knowledge
[18:59] * Bytram goes to track down the last meeting's minutes
[18:59] <@mrcoolbp> I have printed it out, but I had a minor breakdown in not reading all 40 or so pages collective of the documents
[18:59] <+NCommander> Bytram, that was to authorize an agent to deal with the A
[19:00] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: Ugh. I'm *still* recovering from reading the incorporation docs!
[19:00] <@mrcoolbp> exactly
[19:01] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, it was only 28 pages :)
[19:01] <+matt_> (the vast majority of which were just the incorporation docs attached as exhibits)
[19:01] <@mrcoolbp> matt_ which parts are new/changed?
[19:02] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, ok, so there are 2 documents:
[19:02] <@Bytram> matt_: Yeah, but the incorporation docs had a single sentence that contained over 300 words. :(
[19:02] <+NCommander> ... .oO(can't help but think this could be simpler :-P)
[19:02] <+matt_> 1. the first document basically ratifies everything that we've done so far.
[19:02] == rand [~rand@cea-547.64-463-42.nts-online.net] has joined #staff
[19:02] <+matt_> 2. the second document amends the bylaws to allow meetings over IRC
[19:02] == mode/#staff [+v rand] by Bytram
[19:03] <+matt_> really there are only a total of ~5 pages of new stuff :/
[19:03] <+matt_> which isn't much for setting up an entire corporation...
[19:03] <@Bytram> matt_: could you please e-mail me a copy for review?
[19:04] <+matt_> Bytram, k.
[19:04] <@Bytram> thanks!
[19:04] * NCommander has repeatively failed to get to fedex office to print and sign the ive pages
[19:05] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: There's quite a discussion thread on chilax.soylentnews.org about the incorporation docs, should you have any questions. Matt_ was most helpful in explaining things that I'd misunderstood, and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.
[19:05] <+matt_> Bytram, email sent!
[19:05] <@Bytram> here's the URL: https://chillax.soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=14/06/17/0027254
[19:05] * Bytram checks mail
[19:07] <@Bytram> matt_: mail received. THanks!
[19:07] <+matt_> =)
[19:07] == Ethanol-fueled [~46b32f79@ka34-838-68-197.sd.sd.cox.net] has joined #staff
[19:07] == Ethanol-fueled [~46b32f79@ka34-838-68-197.sd.sd.cox.net] has left #staff []
[19:08] * Bytram is downloading PDFs now.
[19:08] == mythterj [mythterj@tonvizu.sdf.org] has joined #staff
[19:08] <@Bytram> okay, so continuing with where we left off...
[19:09] <@Bytram> Just a wild idea, but if matt_ had the signed docs in hand, what would the problem be if he just went and got the wildcard certs? Could they not also be transferred along with the site, should the need arise? What am I missing?
[19:10] <@mrcoolbp> not sure if they are transferrable, NCommander might know
[19:10] <+matt_> certainly not a permanent solution, but it could solve the immediate problem.
[19:10] <+NCommander> the CA wants proof that we own the domain, by validating us via the postmaster address (done) AND getting the WHOIS info matching up
[19:11] <@Bytram> NCommander: the (infamous) 'Peter Walsh'?
[19:11] <+NCommander> bingo
[19:12] <@Bytram> what do they (the CA) need to get that fixed?
[19:12] <+matt_> i can fix the whois
[19:12] <@Bytram> matt_++
[19:12] <+matt_> well, by "fix" i mean "change"
[19:12] <+matt_> the question is what to change it to
[19:12] <+NCommander> The register (gadhi) has to fix the WHOIS
[19:13] <@Bytram> okay, there are three 'contacts' - Registrant, Admin, and Tech... right?
[19:13] <+NCommander> Yeah
[19:14] <+matt_> Bytram, one snag i seem to remember is that for some reason we needed a "corporate account" (was that with the CA or gandi?)
[19:14] <@Bytram> idk
[19:15] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander: do you remember?
[19:15] <+NCommander> matt_, the CA requires one, but that wasn't the headache
[19:15] <+NCommander> I can handle that side of it relatively easy
[19:17] <+matt_> Bytram, so we had a page up on the wiki with a few options for the transfer. Given that the default option is a donation/transfer, i really think this issue boils down to the question of whether we want there to be stockholders (as would normally be the case) or for the power to be concentrated in the board.
[19:18] <+matt_> If we can answer that question, everything else will be pretty much automatically decided, i think.
[19:19] <@Bytram> matt_: thanks for that...
[19:19] <@mrcoolbp> I think that sums it up nicely
[19:19] <@mrcoolbp> should we press on with the agenda?
[19:19] <+NCommander> yeah
[19:19] <@Bytram> ummm,
[19:20] <@Bytram> what stops us from getting the wildcard certs, for now, and deal with the stockholder/board issue later?
[19:20] <@Bytram> or is that a 'cart before the horse' kind of thing
[19:20] <@mrcoolbp> I'd have to defer to NCommander on how to answer that question.
[19:21] == Ethanol-fueled [~46b32f79@ka34-838-68-197.sd.sd.cox.net] has joined #staff
[19:21] == TheMightyBuzzard [bob@Soylent/Staff/Developer/TMB] has joined #staff
[19:21] == mode/#staff [+v TheMightyBuzzard] by juggler
[19:21] <+NCommander> the domian has to be owned by the corporation
[19:21] <+NCommander> That's the hangup
[19:22] <@Bytram> corporation == "SoylentNews PBC" ??
[19:22] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander: I think he was proposing that matt_ get the CA cert under his name
[19:22] <+matt_> NCommander, as i understand it, technically the corporation simply has to have permission to use the domain.
[19:22] <+matt_> i'm not sure if actual ownership is really required.
[19:22] <@mrcoolbp> or that ^
[19:24] <@Bytram> okay, so backing up for a moment, the agenda item was: "Issue 1: Site wildcard certificates - status?"
[19:24] <+NCommander> matt_, yeah, that's a possibility, as long as the certificate license allows you to do it for profit and such
[19:25] <@mrcoolbp> Maybe matt_ can investigate and NCommander assist if needed
[19:25] <+matt_> NCommander, should we do it that way? I could change the whois, and write a letter giving SN PBC express permission to obtain a wildcard cert?
[19:25] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, yes, let me investigate that a little more to see if i can find any problems.
[19:26] <+NCommander> matt_, that should be able to work
[19:26] <@mrcoolbp> great, thanks guys
[19:26] <+matt_> TODO: matt_: investigate changing whois and giving SN PBC permission to apply for a wildcard cert.
[19:26] <@paulej72> here if i am needed
[19:26] <@Bytram> perfect! You guys are great!
[19:26] <@Bytram> paulej72: hi!
[19:26] <@mrcoolbp> sup paulej72
[19:27] <@paulej72> just got to my parents :)
[19:27] <@Bytram> May I suggest we skip agenda item 2 for now and skip ahead to 3?
[19:27] <@mrcoolbp> if you like
[19:27] <@Bytram> that way we can make some quick progress?
[19:27] <+matt_> Bytram, since i believe you added agenda item 2, that should be fine :)
[19:27] <@mrcoolbp> That's what I was thinking.
[19:27] <@Bytram> item 2 has 5 parts and each of them could turn into a rats hole of discussion.
[19:28] <+matt_> oh, one thing about item 2, though.
[19:28] <@Bytram> matt_: yes?
[19:28] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, at the last meeting we discussed sending out an email to the staff list asking for input on the policy doc, iirc.
[19:28] <+matt_> perhaps it is now ready for that?
[19:28] <@mrcoolbp> yes, I need to give it a once over before I do
[19:28] <+matt_> k.
[19:28] <@mrcoolbp> I've been swamped lately, sorry guys
[19:29] * mrcoolbp has a todo list
[19:29] <@Bytram> yes; the parts I added are a ** D R A F T **
[19:29] <+matt_> TODO: mrcoolbp, give the policy doc. a once over, and if it is ready send an email to the staff list asking for input.
[19:29] <@mrcoolbp> well the whole thing is a draft still
[19:29] <@Bytram> I *really* want someone to go over them once before they go out for general review.
[19:29] <+matt_> ok, on to agenda item 3?
[19:29] <@Bytram> matt_: that works for me.
[19:30] <+matt_> Issue 3: Treasurer's Report - Month of August 2014
[19:30] <@mrcoolbp> Okay: so I don't have access to the bank account, but according to Paypal we've earned $1200 in August
[19:30] * matt_ notes that the current bank account balance is: $1,379.49
[19:30] <@mrcoolbp> (from subs alone)
[19:31] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, you should have access to the bank account.
[19:31] <@mrcoolbp> matt_ if there is a way for me to have a seperate loging that would be good
[19:31] <@Bytram> yes, each person who access the account should have their *own* id
[19:31] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, not sure if there is one. i will investigate further.
[19:31] <@mrcoolbp> I have been withdrawing money as often as possible (from paypal to the account) to avoid any issues with paypal not feeling like giving us our money = )
[19:31] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp++
[19:32] <@mrcoolbp> TODO: matt_: investigate a seperate login on B o A account for mrcoolbp
[19:32] <+NCommander> mrcoolbp, I think paypal has a type of autosweep for that
[19:32] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, thanks! i'm racking up the todos today!
[19:32] <@mrcoolbp> happens sir.
[19:32] <@Bytram> hmm, can paypal pull money *back* from a linked bank account?
[19:33] <+NCommander> from what I've see, we're getting about a sub per day
[19:33] <+matt_> Bytram, i really doubt that.
[19:33] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander: yes minus the past 2-3
[19:33] <@Bytram> not that I expect that to continue, but 365 * $20 = $73,120 /year
[19:34] <+matt_> Byram, you may want to upgrade your copy of Mathematica :)
[19:34] <@Bytram> ugh. that didn't look right!
[19:35] <+NCommander> mrcoolbp, I think once we put a banner up about it, it might help
[19:35] <@Bytram> that works out to: 365 days/year * $20/day = $5300/year
[19:35] <@Bytram> NCommander: nod nod
[19:35] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander: yes, other thing I wanted to do was get a breakdown of expenses that we could link to from the banner with the Funding goal progress bar we built
[19:35] <+matt_> Bytram, try once more.
[19:36] <@mrcoolbp> on my todo list = )
[19:36] <@mrcoolbp> also helping TheMightyBuzzard setup bitpay account
[19:36] == Ethanol-fueled [~46b32f79@ka34-838-68-197.sd.sd.cox.net] has left #staff []
[19:36] <+TheMightyBuzzard> all their bitcoins are belong to us
[19:36] <@mrcoolbp> hopefully, at least some of them
[19:36] <+NCommander> we got lucky on that
[19:37] <+NCommander> yay for paypal embracing bitcoin
[19:37] <+TheMightyBuzzard> paypal does bitcoin?
[19:37] * Bytram had resisted increasing the font size on his cmd windows for too long
[19:37] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander: kinda but not really
[19:38] <@Bytram> 365 * 20 = 7300
[19:38] <@mrcoolbp> that is correct
[19:38] <@mrcoolbp> okay, are we moving to the next item or is there more to discuss on this one?
[19:38] <@Bytram> how have we done with swag sales?
[19:38] <+NCommander> I think we've covered it
[19:39] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: sec
[19:39] <@Bytram> k
[19:39] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, also, are we starting to pay for hosting from the bank account?
[19:39] <@Bytram> time's up. ;)
[19:39] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander: need a login that I can pay linode with
[19:39] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: $95.63 USD, but we won't see it all for about 30 days
[19:40] <@mrcoolbp> from zazzle ^
[19:40] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: thanks!@
[19:40] <@mrcoolbp> sure
[19:40] <@mrcoolbp> any thing else I missed?
[19:40] * Bytram has procrastinated in getting a temp card to buy swag with.
[19:40] <+NCommander> mrcoolbp, I can fix that
[19:41] <@mrcoolbp> for completeness (starting balance/ending balance isn't far off from $0 -> $1200, and effectively that is the case more or less)
[19:41] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander: thanks
[19:42] <@Bytram> TODO: NCommander will get mrcoolbp linode access so mrcoolbp can pay monthly hosting bill
[19:42] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: perfect! that's exactly what I was looking for!
[19:42] <@Bytram> are we now ready to move on to the next item?
[19:42] <@mrcoolbp> more detail would be: Starting was $100 I think, Expenses: $15 sylnt.us transfer, income of ~$1180 (paypal fees)
[19:43] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: I am
[19:43] <@Bytram> i am
[19:43] * matt_ is
[19:43] <+matt_> so, we already did: Issue 4: Current Balance(s)
[19:43] <@mrcoolbp> I think we are at Issue 5: Treasurer's Reports - Track on Wiki?
[19:43] <@Bytram> nod nod
[19:44] <@Bytram> I posted that one so I can elaborate
[19:44] <@Bytram> we've espoused openness in our dealing with the community
[19:44] <@Bytram> I am unsure just how much detail we need/want to put out there, but at a minimum...
[19:45] <@Bytram> I would think that, for each month, a summary of where we started, what we spent, and where we ended up would be useful.
[19:45] <@mrcoolbp> basically a summarized balance sheet
[19:45] <@mrcoolbp> If others agree, I can't think of a good reason not to do this, other than it's yet another thing we have to do every month
[19:45] <@Bytram> at this point, our transactions are so few, that we *could* itemize each of them, I suppose.
[19:45] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: bintgo
[19:45] <+TheMightyBuzzard> all in favor of making Bytram do it?
[19:46] <@mrcoolbp> Aye!
[19:46] <+matt_> Aye!
[19:46] <+NCommander> aye
[19:46] <@mrcoolbp> ROFL
[19:46] <@Bytram> since mrcoolbp is the treasurer, I defer to him.
[19:46] <@mrcoolbp> ug
[19:46] <+NCommander> we could make an assistent treasurer position
[19:46] * NCommander strokes beard
[19:46] <+matt_> ^^^
[19:46] <@mrcoolbp> ^^^^^
[19:47] <@Bytram> hey, I need to use the rest room... I'll be right back! =)
[19:47] <@Bytram> j/k
[19:47] <@mrcoolbp> if someone is nominating Bytram, I would Nominate paulej72 to round out to an odd number of positions
[19:47] * mrcoolbp looks around at other board memebers
[19:47] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, what position would you like to nominate paulej72 for?
[19:47] <@mrcoolbp> matt_ what do we got?
[19:47] <@paulej72> for a while
[19:48] <+matt_> I nominate Bytram for the position of Assistant Treasurer.
[19:48] * NCommander fires an on topic cannon
[19:48] <@Bytram> matt_: I thought I'd been nominated for chairman a while ago
[19:48] <+NCommander> While I want to expand the board, lets do it in a serious way
[19:48] <@paulej72> assistant lightbulb changer
[19:48] <@Bytram> NCommander: agreed.
[19:49] <+matt_> NCommander, also, remember that officers need not be board members.
[19:49] <@Bytram> topic at hand: "Issue 5: Treasurer's Reports - Track on Wiki?"
[19:49] <@Bytram> is there anyone here who thinks we should *not* do this?
[19:49] * mrcoolbp looks at his todo list
[19:49] <+matt_> Bytram, well, actually, I think we were on topic, as this would be another thing for mrcoolbp's todo list.
[19:50] <@mrcoolbp> = /
[19:50] <+matt_> otherwise, i think it's a good idea.
[19:50] <@mrcoolbp> not that hard I guess
[19:51] <@Bytram> in spite of my recent display of math skills, if mrcoolbp can forward me all transaction data, I can help with computing the monthly tallies
[19:51] <@mrcoolbp> once I have access, or if matt_ continues emailing monthly statements
[19:52] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, that reminds me, i can send you the latest one now.
[19:52] <@mrcoolbp> = )
[19:52] <@Bytram> hmm, if I could independently access the account's data, I would think it's pretty straightforward to dump as a .csv file and get a tally.
[19:53] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: if sufficient, matt_ could just CC you on these
[19:53] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: that might work. I'd have to see one, first.
[19:53] <@mrcoolbp> (or I can forward them or whatever)
[19:53] <@mrcoolbp> They are "Montly Statements" like you would get for your own account
[19:54] <@mrcoolbp> should work
[19:54] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: please send 'em. I'll see what I can do.
[19:55] <@mrcoolbp> will do
[19:55] <@mrcoolbp> okay, so moving on?
[19:55] <@Bytram> so, we've kind of nailed down the details, is it agreed we will track treasurer's reports on the wiki?
[19:55] == Ethanol-fueled [~46b32f79@ka34-838-68-197.sd.sd.cox.net] has joined #staff
[19:55] == Ethanol-fueled [~46b32f79@ka34-838-68-197.sd.sd.cox.net] has left #staff []
[19:55] <@mrcoolbp> NCommander, matt_ what do you think? Good idea/Bad idea?
[19:55] <+NCommander> ack
[19:56] <+matt_> sounds good to me.
[19:56] <@mrcoolbp> okay, it's agreed then
[19:56] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, email sent!
[19:56] <@Bytram> AGREED: Issue 5: Treasurer's Reports - Track on Wiki? YES.
[19:57] <@mrcoolbp> matt_ rcvd, thx
[19:57] <@mrcoolbp> okay: Issue 6: Start repayment of initial cash investments by Matt_ and NCommander? Maybe $20-$25/person/month?
[19:57] <+matt_> so, at that rate, it would take just over 10 years to be fully repaid :)
[19:58] <@mrcoolbp> fantastic
[19:58] <@Bytram> matt_: optimist!
[19:58] <@Bytram> it's just a number I pulled out of the air, not knowing where we stood with
[19:58] <+matt_> i think repayment can be put off for now (especially considering that we barely have enough money to pay for hosting for the next few months).
[19:58] <@Bytram> cash on hand or with cash flow. the whole idea was to at least *get started* on making you guys "whole".
[19:59] * matt_ likes lump sums :)
[19:59] <@Bytram> matt_: and THAT was the competing thought.
[19:59] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: hard to gauge; we need to see how this plays out, we've only been live with subs for a few weeks, I predict they will start dropping off now
[19:59] <@mrcoolbp> we'll get a little bump with the crypto guys
[19:59] <+matt_> Bytram, also, personally, i would like to see money going towards generating original content, maybe paying editors/sysops/devs, and other things in the not-too-distant future, as well.
[19:59] <+NCommander> Reddit does pretty good with their gold givings
[20:00] <@Bytram> NCommander: ummm, what's that?
[20:00] <@mrcoolbp> reddit gold
[20:00] <+NCommander> Well, on reddit, eveyr post as a "Give Gold" which you can gift it, and it happens frequently enough that there's money to be had there
[20:00] <+NCommander> I think
[20:01] <@Bytram> so, I read a post (== story?) and if I like it, I can 'give gold' ??
[20:01] <+NCommander> Bingo
[20:02] <+NCommander> We can gift subscriptions as they are now
[20:03] <@Bytram> NCommander: interesting! So, it would *not* be considered a donation -- but more like a payment for services rendered? So, no tax law issues?
[20:04] <+NCommander> Bytram, if we did a monthly version of the script for say 3 dollars, and then allowed it to be easily gifted
[20:04] <+NCommander> I could see it working
[20:04] <+NCommander> We already allow gift subscriptions
[20:04] <+TheMightyBuzzard> hell, the mechanics are already written for it in the form of gift subscriptions. we'd just need to script up a button and allow partial subs to be bought.
[20:04] <@Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: like an auto-renewing, monthly subscription?
[20:05] <@Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: oh, nvm. I misread what you wrote.
[20:05] <+TheMightyBuzzard> probably one-shot donation of a buck n change for a month
[20:05] <@Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: k, thanks!
[20:05] <@mrcoolbp> <mythterj> Question from the floor: Is it true that Swag brought in less than 100 bucks ? If so how much did subscriptions bring in in the same period?
[20:05] <@mrcoolbp> .voice mytherj
[20:05] <@mrcoolbp> .voice mythterj
[20:05] == mode/#staff [+v mythterj] by juggler
[20:06] <@paulej72> if the price is too small it gets eaten up in fees
[20:06] <@Bytram> paulej72: what kind of fees do we have?
[20:06] <@mrcoolbp> mythterj: yes, more than 10x that amount, we reviewed that earlier
[20:06] <@paulej72> paypal
[20:07] <@paulej72> think it is .88 per, but might be moe for cc trans
[20:07] <@Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: you recently coded up bitcoin support... what kind of fees does that kind of transaction entail?
[20:07] <@paulej72> not sure waht the bitpay fees are
[20:08] <+NCommander> I thought paypal had some sorta microtransaction feature with reduced merchant fees for stuf flike this
[20:08] <@mrcoolbp> We lose $.88 on each of our $20 transactions, it might be a percentage AND/OR fixed not sure exactly
[20:08] <+TheMightyBuzzard> zero until we hit... um... lemme get back to you on that
[20:08] <+TheMightyBuzzard> i wanna say our first million is fee-free but it might be a decimal point either way.
[20:08] <+TheMightyBuzzard> afterwards it's a flat 1% fee
[20:08] <+mythterj> Mrcoolbe: Thanks. I might have misses where the bulk came from, joined late. We need to push subscriptions.
[20:08] <@Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: thanks!
[20:09] <+TheMightyBuzzard> fees come out of the buyer's end though. we get what we charge.
[20:09] <@Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: nice to know. thanks!
[20:09] <@mrcoolbp> mythterj: we have a plan to put a "Funding Goal" progress bar up very soon linking to the breakdown of what our plans for the money consists of
[20:09] <@Bytram> okay, I think we were discussing "Issue 6: Start repayment of initial cash investments by Matt_ and NCommander? Maybe $20-$25/person/month?"
[20:09] <+NCommander> I'm fine deferring that
[20:09] <+NCommander> I rather see us be independent first
[20:10] * NCommander waits for matt_'s 2 cents
[20:10] <+matt_> ^^^^
[20:10] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: looks like they'd both like to defer until we have a little more cash flow
[20:10] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram, and on Item #2 I'm thinking we should flesh that out before the board "ACK"s it
[20:11] <@Bytram> how long before we should revisit this decsion? 2/3 months? start of the new year?
[20:11] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, Bytram, on Item #2, it would be good to put it to an all-staff vote, then if it passes, have the board adopt it.
[20:11] <@mrcoolbp> even better
[20:11] <+matt_> Bytram, start of new year is fine by me (unless we get inexplicably rich before then).
[20:12] * mrcoolbp shudders at the thought of a vote
[20:12] <@Bytram> NCommander: how does the start of the new year sound to you for revisiting when we should take another look at paying you back? okay?
[20:12] <+NCommander> works for me
[20:12] <@mrcoolbp> TODO: The Board: revisit repaying benefactors on or around Jan 1st 2015
[20:13] <@mrcoolbp> = )
[20:13] <@Bytram> NCommander: thanks!!
[20:13] <@mrcoolbp> okay, are we looking at nominating an officer?
[20:14] <+matt_> nominate away!
[20:14] <@Bytram> I make a motion that board discussion on "Issue 2: Follow-up on SoylentNews Policy Document - Updates: " be tabled for now. Upon such time that it has been reviewed, and then sent out to staff for approval, then bring it back to the board?
[20:14] <@mrcoolbp> yes, that seems logical
[20:14] <+matt_> Bytram sounds good.
[20:14] * Bytram notes that bad english is my specialty tonight.
[20:15] <@Bytram> since I'm the usual suspect in reviewing docs, who wants to review my stuff?
[20:15] <+matt_> i think mrcoolbp already volunteered for that.
[20:16] <@Bytram> hmm, crutchy offered some comments on the doc already, too. I'll see if I can get him to take a look-see.
[20:16] <@paulej72> get an ed to,look at it too
[20:16] <@Bytram> matt_: yes, I forgot. thanks!
[20:16] <@Bytram> paulej72: brilliant! thanks!
[20:17] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: yeah I need to once-over the whole thing and then I guess we can see if anyone has anything they'd like to add. I'm sure we'll need to add things as times goes by, but I'm not sure the board really has to ack each one, it's more of a site-governance than a business-type thing
[20:17] <@Bytram> matt_: there's some legal ramifications in there pertaining to copyrights, I'd appreciate your trained eye on that.
[20:17] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: in general, I'd agree. when it comes to copyrights, and who *owns* what, that's a different matter, no?
[20:17] <+matt_> Bytram, will do. i'll wait until mrcoolbp has a go, and then take a close look.
[20:17] <@Bytram> matt_: much obliged!
[20:18] <@mrcoolbp> Sure, sounds good guys.
[20:18] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: pls send matt_ and me a head's up when you're done.
[20:18] <@mrcoolbp> sure
[20:18] <@Bytram> great!
[20:19] <+matt_> mrcoolbp, you mentioned nominations. nominate now or forever hold your peace!
[20:19] <@mrcoolbp> "<+matt_> I nominate Bytram for the position of Assistant Treasurer."
[20:19] <@mrcoolbp> hehehe
[20:19] <+matt_> do i hear a second?
[20:19] <+NCommander> ack
[20:19] <@mrcoolbp> Second
[20:20] <@Bytram> umm, what are the the duties?
[20:20] <@mrcoolbp> nothing yet =)
[20:20] <@mrcoolbp> but I imagine
[20:20] <@mrcoolbp> Treasurer's reports on wiki will be one of them = )
[20:20] * Bytram is pretty sure he can handle doing nothing. at least for the time being.
[20:21] <@Bytram> I'll get back to you on that once I see what the reports look like.
[20:21] <@mrcoolbp> Guys: we are approaching the two-hour mark, I have lots to work on
[20:21] <+matt_> Bytram, would you like to accept the board's nomination or defer until the next meeting?
[20:21] <+matt_> (would still require a vote)
[20:21] <@Bytram> btw, ISTR in an early board meeting that there was discussion of needing a chairman of the baord and that my name was mentioned...it was held off as I was not in attendance.
[20:22] <@Bytram> if THAT is still a consideration, I doubt I coul dhandle both roles.
[20:23] <@mrcoolbp> We've kind of all been co-chairing lately
[20:23] <@paulej72> need a fifth board member
[20:23] <+matt_> Bytram, i believe that our bylaws currently contemplate the Chairman being a Director, so we would need to first expand the board before electing one.
[20:24] <@Bytram> matt_: I'm leaning to accept the nomination.
[20:24] <@Bytram> but, it's late, and I prefer not to leap before I look.
[20:24] <+matt_> which is a whole other discussion...
[20:24] <@mrcoolbp> okay, issue number one then = )
[20:24] <+matt_> k. sounds good.
[20:24] <@Bytram> so, may I get back to you on that at the next board meeting?
[20:24] <@mrcoolbp> (for the next meeting)
[20:25] <@mrcoolbp> Issue One: Expand Board? Bytram has been nominated at least for an officer position and paulej72 was mentioned as well as a candidate.
[20:25] <@mrcoolbp> Issue 2: recap on the Policy Document effores
[20:25] <@Bytram> works for me.
[20:25] <@mrcoolbp> efforts
[20:26] <@Bytram> mrcoolbp: shall we retain the current "Issue 2" on the wiki?
[20:27] <@mrcoolbp> Bytram: maybe we should look at those items, yeah let's leave as-is
[20:27] <@Bytram> okay.
[20:27] <@Bytram> that's all I got. anyone else have anything?
[20:28] <+matt_> nope
[20:28] <+NCommander> no
[20:28] <@mrcoolbp> no
[20:29] <@Bytram> is there a motion to adjourn?
[20:30] <@Bytram> matt_ NCommander mrcoolbp "Motion to adjourn" is there a second?
[20:30] <+matt_> second
[20:30] <+NCommander> third
[20:30] <@Bytram> seconded. All in favor?
[20:30] <+matt_> Aye!
[20:30] <@mrcoolbp> Aye!
[20:31] <@Bytram> meeting adjourned!
[20:31] <@Bytram> thanks everyone!