This is a comphensive index dealing with aspects of system administration and management of our clusters, as well as some of the more archine bits of setup required to make it work.
Who we are
|Sysop Team Main Page|
Index of Development Pages and Resources
List of servers on linode: Category:SystemAdministration/Servers
- soylent-www - Primary Apache, mysqld, and varnish servers for main site. Fluorine hosts slashd and ipnd as well.
- soylent-db -- ndb-cluster servers for mysql, hold the rehash database.
- dev -- Development server.
- staff-slash -- Staff server, ssh entry point, staff-only rehash.
- irc -- IRC server and related services.
- backups -- Backup services. (NOT on linode)
- directory services -- Hesoid and Kerberos.
- soylent-services - mail, wiki, other services as needed.
Stuff That Needs To Be Addressed
- https is not default everywhere
- icinga/monitoring project needs killed
- Landscape - I appreciate NCommanders ability to obtain a product normally sold for free, but if this is not being used it should not be running and using resources. (helium (killed here), perhaps others)
- Should have some sort of SN password safe
- Privilege Duplication - making sure that all services have multiple admins
- Systems Documentation needs to revised and brought up to date.
- Work Coordination, not always good communication when fundamental things change.
- There is no firewall coding at all. Something I normally set up before even one network cable is plugged in. I understand the desire to have an open system on public interfaces, but I see no reason that systems not publicly accessible such as database backends should not be firewalled off from Chinese and other such hackers. Such as the attempts being made on Helium from 126.96.36.199 188.8.131.52/11 China Mobile communications corporation at the moment I am writing this.
DNS is completely run and managed by Linode's DNS Manager service. This was an expedient decision when trying to get off bluehost. We may want to investigate putting the master zone file on helium or boron and having external services handle serving out our dns.
- Access Instructions - how to get on the nodes, get around, and kerberos for users primer
- Group Permissions - understanding our LDAP groups, what machines they can access, and where you can sudo
- LDAP Management for Dummies - how to do basic shit in that source of miserary known as LDAP
- The Rise And Fall Of New Node Management - from bash to fully intergrated node, this doc has it
- The Hitchhikerr's Guide to The li694-22 Domain - machine list, general information
- Kerberos Administration Or Everything You Wanted To Know About Kerberos But Were Afraid To Ask
- DnsRecords - copy of the zone file pasted from the machine that was accidentally turned off
- Emergency Technical Procedures - in case of fire, break glass (Read before messing with servers)
- Backup Information - information on where and what is being backed up.