this page: http://sylnt.us/suggest
This is a compilation of Suggestions from various users. Think of it like a "wish list". These differ from feature requests in that they are projects that may require a significant amount of time to implement. A system should be developed for selecting from one, and having the community vote on which to tackle.
Suggestions can currently be added via firstname.lastname@example.org, or by typing "~suggest [your suggestion here]" in our IRC rooms (must be identified with NickServ). You can also just add them below (must be signed up / logged into wiki). You should check the bug tracker on github for bugs and feature requests, the TodoList, or the respective team page before suggesting something to see if it is already being worked on.
Teams: feel free to draw from the following main and IRC suggestion lists and move to a todo list if you would like to tackle one (please remove from here if you do).
Suggestions: Main List
- SoylentNewsRoundup or SNR (best stories, comments, journals, best of IRC)
- Articles Revisited: (by +5 commenters)
- research, correct, expand
- re-submit to topic "revisited.soylentnews.org"
- example: Here
- Submit story for discussion/publicizing idea
- Add a "settled arguments" section to the wiki (example: the world population is out of control!)
- Add markdown support in SoylentNews ex: http://dillinger.io/
- SoylentNews alternate logo S/N (signal/noise) (also SN = Tin atomic symbol)
- Allow users to mod stories down.
- Allow up-modding of journal entries
- Host our own advertisements
- Keep them in separate areas (sidebars, boxes)
- Keep them (mostly) static
- Banner ads that people can use as forum signatures, etc. to spread the word about SoylentNews. See this archived forum thread for more information.
- Extend validity of mod points (new mod points only awarded once old mod points were used up, but once a user gets mod points he can use them for 3-4 days for topics he cares about instead of just using them up)
- add a field for 'submitters' comment' feature to the story submission process (see this journal entry)
Suggestions from IRC
- for moderation, maybe allow anyone to moderate at any time as long as they are logged in and haven't contributed to the conversation, and only have a 'report spam' option as the only negative mod available ~ crutchy @ 02:11, 13 September 2014 (UTC)
- put a link to the story queue on the front page instead of burying it under submit story :) ~ SpallsHurgenson @ 02:52, 17 September 2014 (UTC)
- cofee++ karma slashbox ~ crutchy @ 07:22, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
- community-building: soylent could 'borrow' the nation states model (maybe with some modifications) and embed it into the SN community/karma/mod/relationship systems ~ crutchy @ 08:03, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
- We should put the rss feed on the mainpage as a link ~ swiss @ 08:19, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
- increase karma to maybe 10,000, have badge for number of comments posted, have badge for number of accepted stories, have badge for high levels of karma (bronze for 50+, silver for 250+ and gold for 500+ or something like that) ~ crutchy @ 17:32, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
- Show users their own AC comments in their history ~ chromas @ 07:31, 22 September 2014 (UTC)
- if "comments are owned by whoever posted them" does that mean Soylent PBC has the right to publish them? just a comment on licensing ~ crutchy @ 08:40, 22 September 2014 (UTC)
- TheMightyBuzzard make an irc bot for SN api suggestions :D ~ crutchy @ 10:58, 22 September 2014 (UTC)
- 'xkcd of the week' slashbox. perhaps start with random xkcd and adjust if an xkcd has been mentioned in a comment/story/wiki edit/journal/irc chat/etc ~ crutchy @ 00:44, 27 September 2014 (UTC)
- badges for no. of +5 comments (maybe inc separate funny, informative, etc). badge for no. of successful story submits ~ crutchy @ 04:00, 28 September 2014 (UTC)
- need a way to submit SoylentNews bugs/issues without having to sign up to github, and also would be handy to have scripty check for similar existing issues and either automagically append or link to related issues ~ crutchy @ 05:37, 28 September 2014 (UTC)
- write a scripty that extracts comments that don't include certain keywords (such as systemd) ~ crutchy @ 09:58, 2 October 2014 (UTC)
- a compiled gui client application for SN, with integrated IRC, wiki, auto-login, feeds (based on keywords, username, topic, etc), treeview for comments, user relationship diagram, metadata collection for stats on users (such as no of comments, no of -1/0/1/2/3/4/5 comments, no of accepted submission...
- crutchy to build the above client ~ TheMightyBuzzard @ 10:16, 2 October 2014 (UTC)
- community-building: free subscription to SN as prize for various activities, such as coding/bugsmashing comps, 50x+5 comments, etc (sorry not many ideas). not sure of legalities of prizes ~ crutchy @ 19:00, 2 October 2014 (UTC)
- for SN client IRC module, a bar that shows the last line (or last few lines) said out of all channels that user is in ~ crutchy @ 02:59, 5 October 2014 (UTC)