We need a new name
I agree with everyone who has suggested a name different from "AltSlashdot".
So far, none of the suggested alternatives seem to be popular (I considered "ForkSlashdot" and discarded it :-).
I think the best course is to get things up and running and then hold a name contest. A community effort should make this task easy.
We don't have to do this immediately. "AltSlashdot" is significantly different from "Slashdot", and we won't be poaching any of their stories or (as much as practical) style.
If things go very well, the new site might be up and running by Monday (Feb 10). Giving some time to settle in, we could have the contest in two weeks or so. If everything goes well...
Name change discussion
Someone below proposed "NotBeta" as a name, with the "!β" as its shorthand. I'm all in for that!
- Really, I'm sold on AltSlashdot, but I just want to make sure that there will be enough Natalie Portman.
If we turn a profit by the end of the year, I'll put a Natalie Portman link on the front page.
- Can we somehow get Cowboyneal back? Can we plan some evil way to get him fired from his current job and desperate enough to come back reestablish the Slashdot community as its tribal leader?
- I think we should veer away from establishing an identity based on Dice, the Beta or our strong negative feelings about those. This is about re-establishing the community and giving us a new home, one that belongs to the community and isn't beholden to some evil corporate overlords. Alluding to slashdot is okay -- I agree with SGT CAPSLOCK that we shouldn't forget our roots. --voidphoenix (710468) (talk)
Please comment. For actual proposals, see the tables below.
- Consider a name change. If you're serious about this, then the name "AltSlashdot" will run you into legal trouble down the road, since Slashdot/Dice/etc. will sue for Trademark infringement (and will have a solid case). Slashdot user tpaudio suggested "Plusdot". Another idea (mine) is to call it "divergence" or "divergence operator"... the logo would be the mathematical form of divergence, i.e. nabla symbol followed by a dot (which looks like an augmented "slash dot"). --Slashdot user JustinOpinion.
- I agree with JustinOpinion, any name with "slash" or "dot" in it will put us in the crosshairs of Dice's lawyers, and we do not want that. "Divergence" is nice. --User:Sir Garlon 16:36, 2014-02-06 (EST)
- I like Divergence too. Also fitting that it's a unicode character, which Slashdot can't handle... --Anonymous Coward
- Perhaps altslash.org? Sounds far enough from slashdot to avoid problems, but close enough to clue in any refugees. Max Hyre (talk) 08:34, 6 February 2014 (MST)
- I'm gonna vote for divergence, I think the name along speaks to the community as to why we want something different/better than the aim of SlashFail Beta. (keick)
- Vote for divergence also for the same reasons as mentioned above (Qwade)
- I also vote for divergence anything that comes out of this will probably be eyed by Dice legal. (Nightbrood)
- I agree that AltSlashdot is hard to pronounce, but wasn't that the idea behind h-t-t-p-colon-slash-slash-slash-dot-dot-o-r-g (that is should be hard to pronounce)? Dotancohen (talk) 08:41, 6 February 2014 (MST)
- The name "AltSlashdot" does not "mouth" well. May I suggest "Slashfork"? --Koen (talk) 08:52, 6 February 2014 (MST)
- How about betterthanbeta.org or similar? After all, we all know what created this. Another option would be some meme-based thing, like frostyhotgrits.org. Actually, frostyhotgrits.org would be both unique, and make most Slashdotters feel right at home. Greets, Iskender (1040286) 18.104.22.168 09:39, 6 February 2014 (MST)
- backslashdot.org. Backslash. Back to basics. Back to the old school. Hell yea.
- Alternatively - why not a more elegant backslash.org ? --kell
- I agree with backslash.org, seems to be up for sale.
- can we get one of those new top-level domains, like .bank, except instead get .dot? Then name it SlashSlash.dot ;-)
- I second the person who suggested dot-dot-slash (../). Going up a directory is like going "back", which is the purpose of the new site - going back to how things used to be.
- This does seem to be the clear winner. Though backslash.com (which appears to be a parked domain) would work well too, since it's not *immediately* obvious legally that we stole the name (back slash dot com) from slashdot. Too bad dashdot.com and slashdotdash.com are both real in-use sites. slashdotdashdot.com appears to be parked, though.
- I second backslash.com if the domain can be obtained. ../ would be the subtler option, and I'm in favor of it.
- May I suggest HashBang (#!), I think it has a slightly better ring to it than hashbash
- I think anything with "#!" is probably going to be too close to Crunchbang Linux. They use that exact shorthand symbol. - Cactus
- Some fantastic ideas: SlashStar (/*), SlashSlash (//), ShebangShebang (#!#!), HotGrits, SovietSlashdot, DotSlash (./), DotSlashDot (./.), GNU/Slashdot (GNU//.), GNS (GNS = "GNP's Not Slashdot", and GNP = "Grits on Natalie Portman"), CowboyNeal.net, RoblimosOrphans.org, BangBangBang (!!!), CarrotSlashSlashSlashDot (^\/\.), YoungPastyHonkies.net, NoDiceSlashdot, SlashReset (/Reset), Carrotdot (^.), SlashHash (/#), PurpleTaro, CowboyNealOption, DennisRitchieIsGod.com, Ctrl-H (^H), Ctrl-C (^C), HGNP (Hot Grits on Natalie Portman)
- altslashctrl -- sort of gets the point across
- nodice.org and no-dice.org are unfortunately not available. -- Stderr dk (talk) 12:00, 6 February 2014 (MST)
- dicetoss.org is available
How much would dice holdings sell the classic slashdot.org site for? They can keep SlashTV, SlashBI, etc.
- I think the name should be kept to two syllables or less. Some of my favorites: dotdot (..), notdot(!.), backslash (\). Although it may be better to define the site based on what it is (is there any vision here other than 'slashdot classic'?) rather than what it isn't (slashdot beta). If this gains traction, it will be on its own merits and not because it forked slashcode. Maybe something like hashtech (#tech)? Works for old school IRC nerds and twitter hashtags.
- Not that I'm a particular fan of social media, but I do like #tech.
- +1 for backslash. Sounds like backlash, refers to Slashdot, and still a keyboard character. Apparantly, the domain BACKSLASH DOT ORG is for sale:  (Moderator - 189749)
- +1 for backslash here..
- How about BangDot or KillDot? It sounds similar, but it is different enough than nobody will be able to claim it leads to confusion.
- How about Tildedot? h-t-t-p-colon-slash-slash-dot-tidle-dot-dot-org? (keick)
- Or maybe !|.org? BangPipe :) (keick)
- Can we stick these in a table please? With a column that indicates their status (taken - in use / taken - parked / available)? It also makes sense to group them into classes like: anti-dice, recognisably-similar-to-slashdot, novel. FatPhil (talk) 14:07, 6 February 2014 (MST) (FatPhil)
- I vote for hashbang.com unfortunately it seems that someone is parked on it. (Githaron)
- I think it has to be of the same spirit as slashdot. Taco wanted it to be confusing for people to type into a browser after hearing it h-t-t-p-colon-slash-slash-slash-dot-dot-org. I suggust something in that vein, tuned to the current mobile app store. I'd suggust something like the PlayAppStore. You'd sound like an idiot trying to explain it to someone else: go to playappstore
- Or we could go really go back to chips & dip, the previous name of slashdot,
it looks like the domain name has expired when i did a whois search. I liked the idea of using hashbang but like someone else pointed out it is used...
- I second both "chips and dip" and "dotdotslash" as clever alternatives. Divergence is second tier but I will also support it if no other alternatives gain traction.
- Is something like slashplusplus or something similar available? I like it because it is an increment of the past variable. Only downside is the slash in the name might not sit well with Dice legal. Trying to stay true to Taco's original naming convention is going to be difficult. (Nightbrood)
- My suggestions/picks would be hashslash (#/ -- not slashhash, btw); backslash (this is probably easier to defend if Dice tries to argue trademark); hotgrits (it's a short, catchy, very uniquely slashdot meme that also alludes to news, as in "hot off the presses"); frostpist (another strongly slashdot-flavored meme). --voidphoenix (710468) (talk)
- I'll also throw this in: RTFC (read the fucking comments, because as several people have pointed out in the FuckBeta threads, slashdot has always been more about the community and the comments we post, and not really about the articles). --voidphoenix (710468) (talk)
I liked this idea, but the domain is taken by the Refinery Terminal Fire Company.
- Along the RTFC line, how about TCR - The Comment Router?
- Why do all the names have to reference slashdot in some way? Move on... think of something completely different and leave the past behind.
- NewsForNerds, NetNews, NerdsOnTheNet, NerdNews, NerdNewsDot,StuffAndThings -- ngarrang
- How about Starslash? The logo would be */ which looks like /. rotated 180 degrees. Might still be a trademark issue, but I think it would be acceptable as fair use since it would be a protest site. -- danbert8
- I second HotGrits - it references SlashDot in a good way without aping it (it was a user-generated meme), and it evokes "hot" news & discussion. Unfortunately hotgrits.org is now taken. If you have a great idea for a name maybe consider buying the domain before posting it here...
- Something like http://url.com or http://hostname.com would be awesome. It'd preserve the original spirit of being a pun, while being immidately aknowleadgable by the general audience.
- hotgrits, frostpist, RTFC, are all good. RTFC is taken except for rtfc.us.com. These all reference slashdots culture with directly referencing slashdot explicitly. I don't like any of the dice or beta names as they won;t mean anything when slashdot goes the way of myspace...
- Personally, I recommend a name like ConfirmedDead, in reference to the "Netcraft confirms" meme. It's also fitting, considering it might very well soon be applicable to Slashdot itself. - UntypedLambdaCalculus (talk)
- I'll plug my own suggestion AtNot. It kind of rhymes. It's shorter. It's got a decent abbreviation @! Domain's available.
- No car references? I has a sad now.
Please add ideas to these tables. Where possible, note if the URL is available. Consider adding your username to the 'votes' column.
References to Slashdot, Beta, Dice, etc.
|AltSlashot||Alt/.||altslashdot.org (registered by us)||Trademark issues!|
|AtSlash||@/||.org appears open. "I read it at atslashdotorg"|
|SlashBang||/!||The .org is available.|
|BackSlash||\||Slashdot actually has a subsection called 'backslash'.|
|ColonSlash||Because it looks funny (suggested on reddit)|
|RTFC||rtfc.us.com (.org, .net, and .com are taken)||because TFC are what /. is about -- who needs TFA, or even TFS? :)|
|NotBeta||!β||notbeta.org||Would need Unicode support on Slashcode-Should be done anyways|
|EscapeDot||^[. or \.||escapedot.org||escape as a reference to the desertion.|
|Firehose||firehose.org (currently parking)|
|DotDotSlash||../||As in "cd ../" ... also implies going back or up a level|
|HashBang||#!||URL taken (parked domain)||Possible confusion with Crunchbang Linux?|
|HashSlash||#/||about "slash"; or tagged "slash"|
|BangSlashDot||!/.||Available to us (registered by Slashdot user somenickname (184564)).|
|SlashStar||/*||Used in C to comment code, in recognition that the focus is on comments|
|StarSlash||*/||starslash.org||Looks like the /. logo rotated 180 degrees. Domain is available.|
|divergence||The name represents how we're going in a new direction. Also, the symbol could be the mathematical divergence operator: a 'nabla' followed by a dot, which looks like an 'augmented' version of a slash followed by a dot.|
|HashTech||#tech||Has dual IRC and hastag meanings.|
|PlayAppStore||"Slashdot" was meant to confuse neophytes reading it aloud; the modern equivalent would be calling a site something like "PlayAppStore".|
|CtrlL||For "Clear Screen" in a terminal window.|
|CtrlZ||Keyboard code for "Undo"|
|url.com or hostname.com||Puns in the original spirit of /. Also, comments for nerds, stuff that matters.|
|SlashDotDot||/..||to indicate we're backing up a level...|
|SlashHash||/#||Captures hash tags, anchor tags, and is sometimes used to represent forks.|
|Cyborg Bill||.net, .org available||Was this the right term?|
|Natalie Portman||Trademark issues?|
|FrostPist||.com, .net, .org available||El Oscuro Nice /. theme!|
|FrostyHotGrits||.com, .net, ,org available :-)||Sir Garlon's vote|
|HotGrits||.org available||El Oscuro Nice /. theme!|
|LaserSharks||.net, .org available||El Oscuro Nice /. theme!|
|ConfirmedDead||.com, .net (preferable for the joke), .org||UntypedLambdaCalculus's vote. A reference to the "Netcraft confirms" meme.|