Difference between revisions of "IRCVision"
m (Protected "IRCVision": archival ([Edit=Allow only administrators] (indefinite) [Move=Allow only administrators] (indefinite)))
Revision as of 02:10, 16 September 2016
Note: This is an old document that mostly served as a guide, though most of the information is correct
What is the main purpose of IRC?
- To allow the Soylent News community to congregate in a real time format
- We want the community to feel free to do (almost) anything, so it's better to have less guidelines restricting them
- We do *NOT* want to poach from SN stories.
What do we want to be available on IRC?
- Topical channels
- Channels for the various teams
- Game channels
- RPG channels
- Guided discussions (This is my favorite idea.. advertised on a sidebar of the main site perhaps)
- Something like the OReilly webcasts, where we'd have our favorite people (Natalie Portman, Linus Torvalds, Bill Gates) come to talk about their project and how awesome it is.
- Combatserver notes that there should be a strategy to keep the talks from disrupting stories on the main page, if a significant portion of the site is focused on IRC, then comments on stories published at the same time may suffer.
What do we *not* want on IRC?
- Poaching from the site discussion
- Channels for each article or live chatboxes in articles
Initial Official IRC channels:
- Team specific channels
- Main discussion channel
- What do we name this? Probably want to keep #Soylent until the final branding is decided
- Topical channels
- 16:01:39 Protonic ∈ It'll be interested to see things evolve. I'd say have topical channels for the site available though, e.g. #linux - and a bot in all those "official tropical channels" will automatically message the channel when a new post arrives in said category
- Off topic channel
- Team members
- Examples: Landon@Soylent/Staff/IRC/Landon, Landon@Soylent/Staff/Editor/Landon, Landon@Soylent/Staff/Dev/Landon
- If someone is in multiple teams, we should be able to let them choose which cloak they prefer
- (future plan) Members with IRC accounts connected to the main site:
- Should this be a requirement for registering on the IRC network? That you must have an account on the main site?
- Examples: Landon@Soylent/USERNAME
- Registered nicks without an account on the main site (if necessary)
- Examples: Landon@Soylent/Guest
- General utility bot for users to query weather, provide public logs, etc (I've got one in mind that we can maintain as the official bot/fun development project -- Landon)
- Name at least one bot Bender!
Logging (note: logging is now enabled and links can be found in the topic of each room)
- Since it's almost guaranteed that some users will be logging, we should make it a service. There should be a bot in all of the Official channels that will gather logs and generate a webpage ( example by Juggs )
- Opt-in logging/publishing for all user created channels (send a logging notice to people as they join the channel maybe)
- 1-2 day delay before publishing logs, in case someone reallyreallyreally needs to redact their root password from the logs :) (But, that's a false sense of security, so eh, but it would be a courteous gesture)